top of page

Home   》  Sponsor


Canada is well known for supporting family reunification, emphasizing on positive long-term integration rate for those reunited with their close relatives.

There are a number of immigration programs aimed to facilitate the process of bringing your close family members to live with you in Canada. These include sponsoring your spouse, common-law partner, conjugal partner, parent, grandparent, dependent children, or other relatives in exceptional cases whether they live with you in Canada or not. 

In order to start sponsorship process, first and foremost, you need to meet the eligibility criteria of a sponsor:

  • Be 18 years of age or older

  • Canadian citizen or person registered in Canada as an Indian under the Canadian Indian Act or permanent resident of Canada

  • Live in Canada to sponsor eligible relatives except some exemptions

  • Meet set income guidelines

If you are sponsoring your spouse, common-law partner or dependent child you are NOT required to meet the income requirements, unless your dependent child or a dependent child of your spouse has a child of their own.

If you are a Canadian Citizen living abroad you CAN sponsor your spouse, common-law partner or dependent child if you demonstrate your intention to return to Canada with your sponsored relative.

This is usually the roadblock on immigration cases, as many have difficulties to demonstrate clear intentions of cutting ties with the country of residency prior to the immigration case being approved. Showing the true intention of moving back to Canada with the sponsored spouse, common-law partner or dependent child is the main task on the applications submitted from outside of Canada.

Please note you will be deemed ineligible to sponsor if you​

  • are in prison

  • have not paid your alimony or child support payments

  • have declared bankruptcy and haven’t been released from it yet

  • got social assistance for reasons other than being disabled

  • didn’t pay back an immigration loan, made late payments or missed payments

  • sponsored another relative in the past and didn’t meet the terms of the sponsorship agreement

  • were convicted of a violent crime, any offense against a relative or any sexual offense.

The sponsor takes responsibility to financially support the sponsored relative, ensuring they will not need any social or financial assistance, will provide shelter, food, clothing, daily necessities, and health needs. This obligation is a legally binding undertaking agreement between the sponsor and the Government of Canada. The duration of undertaking depends on the type of sponsored person.

Barbican Immigration would be happy to assist you in your family reunification process. There are different approaches to any case. We will carefully review and suggest the most favorable way to pursue your plans. We specialize on the following categories:

  • Spousal Sponsorship Outside Canada

  • Spousal Sponsorship Inland

  • Spousal Work Permit

  • Dependent Children Sponsorship

  • Parents and Grandparent Sponsorship

  • Family members sponsorship

bottom of page